Friday, August 6, 2010

Santa Claus half-marathon...


Is what im running on Saturday!(:


It's not the race i originally started training for,at the beginning of the summer.First i was training for the midnight sun run.By the time Jenn and i completed that goal,it was only halfway through summer,and i had the running bug.bad.
So i searched for a far enough out but end of summer goal and decided the Santa Claus north pole half marathon was the one for me...i had no idea if i could ever run 13.1 miles,but was determined to try.so i read up on marathon training,and bought some new shoes,and added a mile to my long distance runs every week.i discevered a whole new world of energy chews gels, and carbo-loading,and hydration.
The challenges that running long distance brought were nothing compared to the amazing feeling i had after completing my goal each week...for most the summer,my knees ached...but thankfully with a little care and alot of pain,they have become strong enough that when i run now,i barely notice them...there were good days and bad days in my training,,,i think the worst day i had was when i had to run 7 miles in the 90 degree heat,while i was sick,and i almost quit about 4 or 5 different times that day.but something inside of me refused to quit.i had to make my goal,no matter what.the fear of failure is much stronger than any bodily pain or discomfort i have ever had.
Ive grown to crave and love the pain and the challenge.Ive discovered an inner strength through running that i never knew i had.A self discipline that God has given me that wont let me give up.Ive gone through things in my life that have caused me to discover this same thing,and cause me to realize that what doesnt kill us only makes us stronger.My time running has been i time for me to think and pray,and thank God for the ability to do things i never imagined possible.It has given me peace with my thoughts,and that was something i was struggling with.
Its been a surprisingly emotional and personal experience,and i dont think anyone but another runner understands what im talking about.I needed a vice this summer and i found it.
I ran 10 miles this past Sunday, and today i ran my last training session until my race on Saturday.I never could have done it without the support of my best friend,my husband.
He's supported me through this the whole summer,has watched the baby,and kept telling me i could do it.I wish so bad he could be there with me when i cross the finish line on Saturday,but unfortunetly he has to work.I never couldve done it without God giving me the ability and health to do it.I know all my strength comes from Him.After recovering from a back injury that dictated my life for three years straight,i certainly do not take anything for granted when it comes to my health.There was a day i thought id nvr be able to run again.Now im looking forward to running my first half marathon and im soooooooo excited!!!Thankyou Lord!(:

2 comments:

Deidre said...

I wish you the best of luck!
Regardless of what place you come in, or the time you have, the fact is - YOU DID IT!

Then you just make a goal to beat your time with your next half-marathon. :)

blondevue... said...

Ok, you brought on the tears with this post. Your right God has given you the strength to do it, to not quit. You're totally an inspiration in your dedication, determination and discipline. All three are really good traits to have in life, not only in running. And I'm so glad that it spreads throughout your entire life.
Congratulations on finishing, and finishing so well!
I love ya dearly, and am so excited for you. :)
Tori